Tuesday, July 5, 2011

just two wheels

This picture was taken about two years ago, and now, at the age of 19, I finally found the joy that is riding a bicycle. What a great feeling it is to have the wind in your hair, the breeze on your face, and speed on your side! Who would ever go back to walking everywhere once they get the thrill of riding their bike around town feeling unstoppable. No one. And certainly not me.

Many people have tried to teach me before, but until three weeks ago, I did not have the rudimentary skill of riding a bike. My family went on bike rides together all the time, but since I was very young, my parents did me a service by just getting an attachable seat that sat on my mom's bicycle. So while my family learned the ways of the pedals and wheels, I was just along for the ride. The last time I fit in that seat was probably around the age of 5. When the time came that I would have ownership of a bike, you can imagine my excitement! The first thing I did on my bike was go to the grocery store, Smiths. It was a trip out of necessity. My sister Emily said it was only a 7 minute ride. So off we went with our empty backpacks, and my fearful spirit. I learned on the roads of Provo, dodging cars and traffic laws from the start. So naturally while my friends like to go on the sidewalk, I abstain and stay in my comfort zone on the roads amongst the other wheeled forms of transportation.

I have been converted to the lifestyle that is owning a bike. I ride my bike to work, I ride my bike to the doctors, I ride my bike to my friends, shoot, I would ride my bike to church.

My two wheels can take me anywhere.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! My best childhood memories are of riding my bike. Glad you've found the same joy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie!!!! I'm proud that I was mentioned in your first blog post. Yeahhhhhhhhhhh. BIKE!!! I just heard this song today in bulgarian called "kolelo" or bike. I was liking it bc he was a talking about da bike thing. yeahhhehhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete